Friday, May 7, 2010

Nasi Lemak



Try this the next time u are frying yr chicken.. I was kinda of skeptical initially but let's just say the end product was.. tasty (:

I marinated 4 chicken drumsticks with 5-spice powder, salt, sugar, light soy sauce, honey & 1/2tbsp ENO. 
Marinate for at least 2hrs or overnight if u can.

For coating before frying:-
¼ cup allpurpose flour
2tbsp cornflour
1/4tbsp ENO

For dipping
1 cup milk + 1 egg


Coat seasoned drumstix with dry flour mixture, dip in egg+milk mixture, then coat once again with dry flour mixture before frying them. Remember not to fry on high heat, we don’t wanna burnt skin with undercooked meat inside. 

As for the rice, I simply cooked with 2 cups of rice, pandan leaves (shred & knotted), 150ml of coconut milk & some water. Nothing special I guess.. but at least it tasted like coconut rice :P

I kinda of got addicted to pounding my MHK chilli couple of days back & today, I made my own sambal ikan bilis. The amt of chilli is too little for my blender and, I get the kick out of pounding them with my mortar & pestle :P

I deliberately pounded them coarsely as I like the feel of having bits & pieces of chilli in my sambal. And yes, this time round, I heap up on the fiery little fellows :-D

Here’s how to go about making the sambal ikan bilis:-

Ingredients
- 1 cup of premium ikan bilis
- 1 small red onion (slice thinly)
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 shallots
- 5 big chillies + 20 chilli padis (washed & seeded. Leave some seeds, else the sambal wont be spicy).
- 1 tsp belachan
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar

Tamarind juice
- Tamarind pulp (size of a golf ball) soaked in 1 cup of water. Squeeze tamarind constantly to extract flavor. Drain & set the juice aside.

1) Wash & drain ikan bilis. Fry & set aside.
2) Pound belachan, garlic, shallots & chillies with mortar & pestle.(or u can grind them with blender)
3) Heat some oil & fry spice paste until fragrant.
4) Add in red onion & ikan bilis, mix well.
5) Add in tamarind juice, sugar & salt. Simmer on low heat till u get a thick chilli paste.

Hee.. I am a happy woman today coz I manage to make my own sambal ikan bilis which tasted quite nice lah. I refrigerated the unused portion, not sure how long it can keep though.

No comments:

Post a Comment